It is hard to beat the simple pleasure of a comforting stew. Seasoned well and packed with hearty cannellini beans and fresh spinach, this is bowl food at its best.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
2 Garlic Clove
1 tin Cannellini Beans
280 grams Diced Chicken Breast
1tbsp Dried Italian Herbs
2tbsp Tomato Puree
1 pack(s) Chorizo
1 Chicken Stock Pot
1 bag(s) Baby Spinach
1/4 tsp Sugar
- Half, peel and thinly slice the onion. Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press). Drain and rinse the cannellini beans in a colander.
- In a large saucepan, heat a splash of oil over high heat. Once hot add the chicken and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, 4-5 mins. Remove from the pan and set aside. Preheat your grill to high heat.
- In the now empty saucepan, heat another little splash of oil over medium heat and a knob of butter (if you have it!) over medium heat. Pop in the onion and cook until so and starting to colour, 4-5 mins. Stir half the garlic, the Italian herbs, tomato puree, chorizo and sugar (see ingredients list for amount) into the pan. Cook for one minute more.
- Mix in half of the beans, the water and the stock. Bring to the boil, stir to dissolve the stock, then reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 5 mins. Mash the other half of the beans, then stir into the stew. TIP: This will help thicken the stew. Pop the chicken back into the pan and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through, 5 mins.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the rest of the garlic, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil together in a small bowl. Slice the ciabatta in half lengthways (as if you were making a sandwich!) and drizzle the garlic oil over the cut side. Pop onto a baking tray and place under the grill until nicely toasted, 4-5 mins.
- Just before you serve, stir in the spinach leaves one handful at a time. Cook until just wilted, 2 mins. Chop the ciabatta into wide chunks. Serve your stew in deep bowls with the garlic bread on the side.